Photo courtesy of Charles Martorelli and used with his permission. It was taken by his late father Carmine sometime in 1962 on Queen Street at Richmond Street (Victoria Row) looking north west. The bell tower of City Hall is visible in the distance.
The old Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Building is also visible in the background at the corner of Queen & Grafton. Such a shame that beautiful building was demolished.
The Canadian Bank of Commerce occupied the north west corner of Queen Street and Grafton Street since approximately 1910, when an impressive building “finished in terra cotta and Ohio brick…with a base of Pictou greystone” was constructed on the site (see above image).  The Bank was demolished in 1981, after a great outcry from a concerned citizens group, and the present modern brick facility was built. The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce was created from two of Canada’s largest banks- The Canadian Bank of Commerce and The Imperial Bank of Canada- in June 1961. Interestingly, the Canadian Bank of Commerce was an amalgam of a number of banks including Prince Edward Island’s own Merchants Bank of Prince Edward Island which entered into a merger with “The Commerce” in 1906.